The Housing Forum supports partnership working with councils who have increasing importance and a rapidly growing role in delivering affordable housing.
The Councils Housing Spring Conference agenda will have a focus on planning issues and regulatory reform, supported by The Housing Forum’s Local Councils Advisory Group
Event Sponsors – Bugler Developments
Background on key planning and housing delivery issues to be addressed and themes arising from The Housing Fourm’s Councils Network and Advisory Group.
Conference Chair, John East, Board Member of The Housing Forum; and Interim Strategic Director for Place at Winchester City Council.
Third National Survey of Local Authority Housebuilding activity
Early findings and insights . Janice Morphet, Visiting Professor, Bartlett School of Planning at University College London
PLANNING AND REGULATION
Overview of the planning and regulatory challenges and opportunities . Conference Chair, John East
- How planning is changing, outlining impact of first homes, density and permitted development, including next steps in building safety and a brief view ahead to the bill going forward in the Autumn
Tim Chandler, Partner – Architect, calfordseaden
- Balancing quality and volume in housebuilding
Nicky Linihan, Planning Officers Society’s Housing Specialist and independent planning consultant
- National Model Design Codes - update and what is being learnt from the 14 Local Councils pilots
Andy von Bradsky, Head of Architecture, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- The implications of the strategic gap in planning direction at the larger than local level that means placemaking is harder to achieve.
Martin Elliot, Head of Strategic Planning, Leeds City Council
- Biodiversity net gain – developing a plan to put into practice
Council speaker TBC
Overview of the challenges and opportunities. Shelagh Grant, Chief Executive, The Housing Forum
- Homes England Strategic Partnerships – Overview of the new Affordable Homes Programme, introduction to Local Authority Strategic Partnerships, and summary of the Agency’s wider tools and resources to support development ambitions.
Adam Morton, Senior Manager – Affordable Housing Strategy, Homes England
- Garden communities - how garden communities are contributing to accelerating supply – projected growth, barriers to that growth and success stories including the opportunity provided through council led developments.
Huw Edwards, Senior Planning Partner, Barton Willmore
- Rightsizing – innovative approach
Gravesham BC, with consultants BPTW have developed a ‘Rightsizing’ approach to determine best use of stock and land in council ownership, addressing acute housing need and pent-up demand for homes that better meet their needs and are more energy efficient and cost effective to run. This is encouraging older residents to downsize, reducing overcrowding and maintaining movement in stock, enabling further sites to be brought forward. Funding, sustainability/energy efficiency/low carbon, plus cost/benefit ratio and measurement will all be covered.
Sharon Donald – New Homes Development and Strategy Manager, Gravesham Borough Council and Neill Campbell – Partner, BPTW
Sum up and close
There will be thought provoking Q&A sessions so do let us have any questions you would like answered in advance. Send to Duncan.Grant@HousingForum.org.uk
previous Councils Conference delegate comments included:
‘A thought provoking and relevant webinar addressing real issues that we are currently experiencing’
‘The webinar was excellent – relevant, timely and informative with good speakers’
Event Sponsors – Bugler Developments
Bugler Developments is an award-winning, family owned residential property development company operating throughout London and the South East. We have approaching 40 years’ industry experience and operate predominantly in the Affordable Housing sector. It is our pleasure to sponsor the 2021 Councils Network Spring Conference. We recognise the role councils play in much needed new housing and hope that this conference provides an insightful forum for all involved.
Media Partners – LABM
- Automatic invitation to events
- Event Guide – containing the programme, speaker details and delegate list
- Insight Report of the event – presentation summaries and Q&A responses
- MyProPass – automated CPD certification
- Event recording and slides (upon request)