Strategic Partnership for Gas Service & Maintenance
South Somerset Homes and Connaught are in partnership to deliver the annual service and on going maintenance of gas and solid fuel appliances, installation of gas central heating systems and carry out an annual house health check by checking the functionality of smoke & Carbon Monoxide (CO) detection devices and tenants own appliances. The arrangement is for an initial 5-year period and commenced in April 2003.
Prior to the introduction of the partnership, Gas Servicing, Gas Maintenance, Solid Fuel Maintenance and Central Heating installations were procured as separate traditional contracts using Schedule of Rates or fixed price tenders.
There was a programme to regularly inspect and service smoke detectors, but again this was a traditional approach, which was inefficient and did not provide a quality service to tenants but is typical in the market place and is the most common way to procure these services.
|Lead||South Somerset Homes|
SSH saw the opportunity to improve the way services were delivered and importantly reduce the risks attached to their gas related liabilities. In seeking to improve services to their tenants by combining activities such as servicing smoke detectors and CO detectors, SSH also took the opportunities to remove duplicative processes demonstrating better value and improve quality, whilst paying a realistic price for the service provided
SSH were already partnering with Connaught for planned maintenance works and had experienced the significant benefits that collaborative working can bring to all stakeholders. A proven relationship based on trust and cultural fit already existed, so the change from traditional practises to a partnering approach was welcomed.
Safety and convenience for tenants is the great priority, with far greater control, visibility and information flow also important improvements sought by the client. By developing a joint process to manage this activity the partnership aims to deliver against the following objectives:
Partnering Aims & Objectives from SSH & Connaught Partnering Agreement
Headline achievement / summary actions
Health & Safety
- To date 98% of all properties received annual appliance service
- Post completion quality inspection carried out both internally and by external independent auditor
- Workplace competence quality audit of all engineers
- 89% customer satisfaction rating
- Flexible appointment times set to be convenient for tenants
Supply Chain Management
- Active supply chain participation
- Key supplier publishing relationship as beacon of best practise
- Local merchants & suppliers brought into the partnership
Life Cycle Costing
- Jointly developed specification to raise quality of new appliances
- Using IT to link the repairs programme with replacement programme
- Service provider assisting with the design of systems in existing properties and new development programme, completing the installation and retaining responsibility for the ongoing maintenance
- Joint programming process and real time information to match servicing programme with available resource
Training & Local Labour Initiatives
- 75% of servicing team based in Somerset
- Training & resettlement places offered
- Open book arrangement based on agreed profit margins to ensure that all resource is focussed on effective management of the contract
- No disputes
|Site Start:||31 March 2003|
|Planned Finish:||31 March 2008|