Author: Karl Williams
This project was part of the Construction Legacy - Housing programme which sought to map approaches to the delivery of training and apprenticeships in the housing and regeneration sectors. The Housing Forum programme worked with 36 active Demonstration Projects in England and Wales. Up until March 2010, The Construction Legacy - Housing programme operated as a partnership between The Housing Forum and ConstructionSkills. For more information please see the relevant theme page.
As part of the modernisation of Local Government agenda, Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council has developed its Community Plan setting out a long-term strategy for the regeneration of the Borough. The four Community Plan Strategic goals are:
- Lifelong Learning
- Wealth Creation
- A Safer and Healthier Community
- Improving the Environment, Housing and Accessibility
|Others||Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
Barnsley Community Build
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council's vision for housing is that "Everyone should have access to a home that is warm, dry, and affordable in a peaceful environment." The repair and maintenance of the housing stock is a key service for the Council to address if it is to achieve this vision, and it will also contribute to the achievement of the Strategic Goals as follows:
- Lifelong Learning - Training leading to employment and the development of new skills will be central to achieving Best Value in stock maintenance. The Strategic Partnering Arrangement requires the Partner and Building Works Department to work jointly to develop and promote local training and apprenticeship schemes.
- Wealth Creation - Growth amongst local firms is likely to be a key driver in improving the local economy. The Strategic Partner will work closely with local private sector providers, suppliers and consultants to help reinvigorate the local building industry.
- Safer and Healthier Communities - Well-maintained houses on attractive estates are important to the well being of the community.
- Improving the Environment, Housing and Accessibility - Achieving best practice stock maintenance service provision contributes directly to this goal.
For more information on particular aspects of the work please click on the links below.
|Construction Legacy - Housing Interim Report 2008|
|Construction Legacy - Housing Report 2007: A partnership between The Housing Forum and ConstructionSkills|
|Sustainable Training for Sustainable Communities: Phase 1 Final Report 2006|
|Region:||Yorkshire and Humber|
|Site Start:||4 November 2002|
|Planned Finish:||3 November 2007|